.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, May 30, 2004

Quote From My Grandfather - "Climb the hill now. Waiting will not make it smaller."

Question of the day - What happens if you are scared half to death - twice?

Let me be honest here. I am an American of Irish descent, who is a practicing Roman Catholic. I am NOT an Irish-American, as I was not born in Ireland, but rather in Cleveland. I am not an Irish-Catholic, as the two are not automatically inclusive. I do not think there is a God, I KNOW there is a God, and I can only hope that God believes in me. That being said, I have a serious question.

Who Stole My Church?

I was raised in an environment that drew comfort from going to a Sunday service that had remained unchanged for hundreds of years. Tradition was celebrated, rather than ignored.
Priests looked like priests, and Nuns looked like nuns.
Respect for anyone in religious life, whether a Priest, Nun, Minister, Rabbi or any other title, was expected, and disrespect was not tolerated.
The Catholic Church, and especially the Pope, held the moral high ground on many issues, through it's clear understanding of the teachings of Christ.
There was no moral ambiguity in my Church. Right was Right, and Wrong was Wrong.

Today, the Cardinal most often identified as nearly destoying the Church in Boston through his criminal handling and protection of abusive priests , and who resigned in disgrace, is now rewarded by the Vatican with a promotion to a position in Rome. What a terrific example of moral accountability.
A Vatican spokesman equates the Iraq prison debacle with the truely horrific atrocities commited by the former Iraqi leadership.
There is no Vatican voice questioning the moral standards of the Islamic jihadists who shot four little Jewish girls in the head at point blank range, the youngest just two years old. They also put several extra bullets into their mother's abdomin to insure that her unborn 8 month old child would also die.
I have not heard the Pope speak about the torture and mutilation of unarmed prisoners held by Muslim terrorists in Iraq, and other Islamic nations.
My own diocese sponsors anti-war seminars and demonstrations protesting American involvement in the War on Terror, but has yet to protest the murder, expulsion and enslavement of hundreds of thousands of Christian and Animist Sudanese by the Muslim majority in that sad country, often with assitance by the Sudanese Islamic government.
Where is the moral leadership of the Church when it comes to dealing with supposed Catholics who support abortion, the killing of the innocents? When will the Church say if you support abortion, you are NOT a Catholic?

I may sound bitter, but in fact, I am just sorely disappointed. I miss the days when my Church was not influenced by political correctness, and secular viewpoints. I want to know who stole the Catholic Church I knew as a child. And I want to know when it will be returned.

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?